Our free wireless connection allows you to access the web (including web-based email), use our online catalogue, and search for journal articles and ebooks.
Please note: the Library does not provide technical support for wireless users. If you have problems other than those listed below, consult your user's manual, your hardware or software provider, or your preferred network administrator for further assistance.
I can't connect to the wireless network
- Check that your device is wireless enabled and the wireless function is switched on.
- Check your signal strength. Obstacles like pillars and walls can interrupt your connection so if your signal is weak, move towards the centre of the room.
- Check your network settings. These will vary according to your operating system. Consult your owner manual if unsure. Our network name is the State Library of Victoria.
I'm connected, but my Web browser isn’t showing the State Library wireless log-in page
- Try the direct URL https://slvwifi.slv.vic.gov.au
- If you see the message 'There is a problem with this website's security certificate’ click the 'Continue to this website' option to reach the Library's log-in page.
- Check that your firewall isn’t blocking access.
- If your home page is set to a secure ‘https’ site your initial connection may be slower and you will receive a ‘security certificate’ warning. If you regularly use our wireless network, consider changing your homepage to a non-secure (http) site.
- Our wireless service provides all the network information your laptop requires to connect. Any proxy settings (IP and/or browser) preconfigured for another network will be incompatible with State Library wireless.
I can’t get past the log-in page
I logged in a while ago, but now my service is disconnected
The service automatically disconnects after 30 minutes if not used. Simply log in again.
My signal and speed varies from one session to the next
Wood, walls, pillars, bookshelves, people and other obstacles can interrupt or weaken the wireless signal. Also, the connection slows down when more people use the wireless service.
I can’t access certain websites, file types or file sizes
The Library’s wireless network only provides for web browsing, not full internet access, so FTP and non-web-based email are not accessible.
The wireless service is subject to the same security precautions as our wired network. Restrictions on certain file types and sizes exist. The message ‘Access has been denied!' will display if the file type you are trying to download is in the ‘blocked’ list (this includes .exe files), or if the file exceeds the allowed size.
I’m having other problems
There may be other issues specific to your device including file-sharing and other software, your security settings and our LAN settings.
If our wireless system detects software deemed a security risk, or that may impact other wifi users, it may restrict your available bandwidth or prevent you from connecting. The State Library recommends turning off file-sharing software.