Four fellowships are being offered in 2013 to celebrate the centenary of the Library's dome.
These special fellowships carry a grant of $25,000 for projects in any field of enquiry that will attract members of the community not already engaged with the Library.
Applications for the 2013 Dome Centenary Fellowships have now closed.
What are the criteria?
Projects must explore one or more of the four following themes:
- Celebrating the dome as a place.
- The dome as a way of bringing people into the Library.
- Exploring the potential of the Library.
- Imagining the future of the Library.
Applications should make clear how the project will make use of the collections of the Library and/or unique spaces, especially the dome.
What does a Dome Centenary Fellowship offer?
Fellows become part of the Library community, with access to a study for the period of the fellowship, which may be used outside normal opening hours of the Library. Librarians familiar with the collections that form the focus of projects are assigned to assist each fellow. Fellows also have access to the Foundation members lounge for the duration of their fellowship.
How are projects selected?
Applications are shortlisted by Library staff according to the key criteria of exploration of one or more of the four themes and use of the Library collections and/or unique spaces, especially the dome.
Shortlisted applications are provided to an independent expert committee of the Library Board of Victoria, along with the complete list of all applications. Committee members are able to call in to consideration applications that are not on the shortlist.
Following the committee meeting, Library staff contact referees for recommended projects and, subject to favourable reports, the recommended projects are presented to the Library Board at its June meeting.
The Board considers the recommendation and awards fellowships for commencement on or after 1 July 2013. Following the acceptance of the offers of fellowships in June, unsuccessful applicants are advised by email.
What are the requirements?
Successful applicants will be required to:
- take up the fellowship in the twelve month period from 1 July 2013
- make significant use of the resources of the State Library of Victoria
- spend at least 75 per cent of their research time at the State Library of Victoria and
- give due acknowledgement of the Library’s support in any publication, presentation or performance of the work.
Where it is appropriate or desirable, Dome Centenary Fellows will be invited to:
- deposit a copy of their work in the collection of the State Library
- give the State Library the first opportunity to publish the results of the fellowship and
- give a public presentation on the results of their creative activity or research.
What happens to my intellectual property?
All copyright in the works created by a fellow during the course of a fellowship continues to vest in the creator.
If you have specific questions about the fellowship requirements or selection process, contact Gail Schmidt at email@example.com or on 03 8664 7335.