The R E Ross Trust Playwrights' Script Development Awards foster Victoria’s theatre industry by providing support to Victorian-based writers to develop their play scripts. The annual Awards are an initiative of The R E Ross Trust and are administered by the State Library of Victoria.
Applications for the 2013 Awards are due by 5pm, Friday 22 March 2013.
The Awards provide total annual prize money of $30,000. Applicants are eligible to apply for a minimum of $3000 per annum up to $10,000, although support in excess of $10,000 may be awarded in special circumstances. In any given year, the judges may decide not to allocate the full prize money.
Public readings of excerpts from some winning entries will be presented in the 2014 Flashpoint program of performances at the State Library of Victoria or Fortyfive Downstairs. One winning entry may be invited to PlayWriting Australia’s National Play Festival 2014 or National Script Workshop 2014.
The winners of the Awards will be notified by mail by 30 June 2013.
‘Script development’ for the purposes of the Awards is defined as the development of a play as a work-in-progress through a workshop or workshops, or through some other interaction between the playwright and a director, dramaturg, script editor and/or actor(s). The focus is on text enhancement.
The workshop should be undertaken by or in association with a Victorian-based theatre company or group of individuals, director or dramaturg.
Other methods of script development identified by an applicant will be considered.
Workshopping of songs with a musical director and singers will not be considered.
Only playwrights can apply for the Awards. Applications should meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or over and reside in Victoria.
- Only one entry (one script) per playwright will be accepted.
- Submitted scripts must not have been previously produced, or have already had workshop development.
- Works of multiple authorship may be entered.
- Works may not be entered in the name of a committee.
Applications must include four copies of the script. Scripts must use a 12-point font, be single-sided and double-spaced, and have all pages numbered.
Each script must have attached to it:
- a photocopy of the completed application form, which can be downloaded below
- a one-page synopsis of the play
- an outline of why the play would benefit from script development
- a short description of the proposed workshop process or method of script development including intended duration, working space and number of people involved
- written confirmation from the theatre company, group or individual that it is able and willing to undertake the workshop in the event of funding being available
- a brief curriculum vitae of the proposed director or dramaturg.
Entries forwarded by fax or email will not be accepted. Entries will not be returned.
Successful applicants will be required to provide a brief report on the nature and benefit of the script development activities undertaken, within 12 months from the announcement of their award.
For more information on application guidelines or selection criteria, email email@example.com or call 03 8664 7277.
The R E Ross Trust is a perpetual charitable Trust established inVictoriain 1970 by the will of the late Roy Everard Ross. The R E Ross Trust has distributed over $90 million in grants for charitable purposes in Victoria since its inception.