Is the book, as we know it, facing imminent extinction, or is it alive and thriving? Are 'good' books being read any more? Can the printed book survive the onslaught of digital technology and new media? Has publishing become a slave to market trends determined by other media?
Discussing the future of the book are:
- Louise Adler, publisher and CEO at Melbourne University Publishing
- Mark Davis, lecturer, publishing and communications at Melbourne University
- Jason Steger, literary editor at The Age and The Sunday Age
- Melanie Ostell, senior editor at Text Publishing
- Michael Webster, director of the graduate program in publishing studies, RMIT University.
This discussion was held at the State Library of Victoria on Wednesday 6 June 2007. It was part of All About Books week, celebrating books and showcasing the Library's permanent exhibition Mirror of the world.